tirsdag den 9. november 2010

Discovering the importance of education

In the times coming up to this stay in Lynnwood I thought about the many things I might experience over here. I thought about some crazy (very unrealistic) things, but I never thought that I would discover the importance of education.

Growing up as a Dane I had the impression that everyone went to school, got an education and eventually started working. School just seemed a natural part of life. Of course, as kids, we heard the stories about African children, who didn't go to school, didn't have toys and maybe didn't even have food. But they (being the adults) might as well have been talking about aliens from another planet. It was all too different to really understand.

Of course as the years passed by I got a better sense of reality. But the "idea" that education is a privilege never really found its spot in my mind. Like, I presume, every other Danish kid, I thought of education as some kind of annoying bug crammed down my throat. I know this sounds harsh, it is bit of an overstatement, but it is true that Danes doesn’t truly appreciate education. And as I wrote before, I never would have imagined that my stay here would change this.

I have no idea when or why this happened; I think it was a combination of many different impressions. It made me realize that I actually want to go the University, not that I have to, but that I want to. And that’s the crucial difference. So even though some things failed and even though none of the “crazy (very unrealistic) things” really happened, at least I got this.
This picture doesn't have anything to do with the subject. Just wanted to add a picture


1 kommentar:

  1. Impressive entry....
    not that I want to sound like a mom.....but this post really illustrates how much you have grown in the last few months....
    ;-)

    SvarSlet